The Smoking Gun:
Direct evidence exposing Bailey's lies
to the media and to Northwestern University
Here's the Smoking Gun:
An e-mail, publicly revealed for the first time by Anjelica Kieltyka, on Nov. 24, 2003:
Key words are highlighted in bold, for emphasis,
noting the frequent referral to "studies" (shorthand for research studies)
and subjects (shorthand for research subjects).
Michael Bailey, 11:20 AM 5/11/01 -0500, Re: some stuff, auto-guy-knees and me
First of all, it's good to have you on the internet.
Second, thanks for writing. Your message is as always insightful.
I am sorry that you would ever wonder about your own intelligence and insight. I think that you are one of the most creative and deep thinkers about the kinds of stuff we talk about that I have known. I owe you a terrific debt, not just for introducing me to transsexuals (for both research and socializing ) but for talking with me about everything. I really admire what you have learned about yourself and everyone else, and you have taught me much.
I agree with you that in general, people have difficulty studying themselves, though. This comes through with gay men, for example, who in my experience have been much more hesitant than they should be to admit that gay men are feminine. And you must know lots of transsexuals from a straight background who deny any sexual component to their motivation; I simply don't believe them.
By and large, I think we agree about 95% of the time. The other 5% I am not sure if we'll ever move closer on. It doesn't matter that much to me--I still enjoy talking and even arguing. If I have ever appeared dismissive, I'm sorry. I think it's just that by now, I know your position pretty well--and I know mine too--and so I move quickly to point out that we simply disagree. We should try to think of studies that in principle could resolve our controversies.
But the bottom line is that you are certainly not a mere case study (although your honesty and openness make you an illuminating case), but also an unusual combination of artist and scientist and scientific and artistic subject.
And as for love advice--I don't know why you should take any from me--I think that there are lesbians out there who would find you quite a catch. I think that transsexuals are a lost cause, however, because they really are only focused on men. BTW, have you tried internet meeting places? Do you have a webpage yourself?
All my best,