- EXPOSED, 7-21-03:
- Bailey is NOT even a member of
- In one of the more startling developments in this investigation,
we just learned on July 21, 2003 from a member of the board of
directors of HBIGDA that J. Michael Bailey is not a member of
the Harry Benjamin International
Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA).
- HBIGDA is THE international organization of researchers and
caregivers to transgender and transsexual people, and those who
are not members do not have access to the very large body of
emergent knowledge that is communicated interactively in this
association's meetings and networks of mutual interest groupings.
- For Bailey to claim to be an authority on transsexualism
without being a member of HBIGDA, without actively attending
their meetings, and without referencing their latest thinking
is patently ridiculous. For him to not be the least bit curious
about their work would be like a physicist to claim to be an
"authority on physics" without ever knowing or even
interacting with anyone who belonged to the American Physical
Society. To not be in HBIGDA means Bailey is an "outsider"
to the worldwide community of professionals concerned with transsexualism
- an outsider who doesn't even know the right terms to use for
things. It is no wonder his terminology and thinking is so confused,
old-timey and defamatory - he is simply unaware of the main stream
of current knowledge regarding transsexualism.
- It now seems that Bailey work was never presented to, scrutinized
by or critiqued by HBIGDA members prior to its publication, and
it shows it.
- We never thought to even check whether Bailey belonged to
HBIGDA. That he would not be a member seemed inconceivable. We
simply assumed that he was a member and that many HBIGDA members
must have supported his work! That is why we did not issue our
Alert till later on (7-14-03), after we'd began to build
a strong case for research misconduct against Bailey and thus
thought that maybe HBIGDA would finally become concerned.
- Instead we found that Bailey was not a member of HBIGDA and
that the HBIGDA leadership were stunned at was he was doing as
pointed out in our Alert.
- Note that instead of belonging to HBIGDA, Bailey belongs
to an obscure group of "professional sexologists" in
general sexological practice - a group named the International
Academy of Sex Research (IASR). Very few members of IASR know
anything about transsexualism, so Bailey can get away with being
an ignorant researcher outside of the HBIGDA mainstream when
presenting his "research results" to that group.
- This page is part of Lynn Conway's
report into the publication of
J. Michael Bailey's book on transsexualism
by the National Academies"